Paul Matson has served since 2003 as chief executive of the Arizona State Retirement System, overseeing an approximately $34 billion investment portfolio, $25 million annual appropriated budget, and 240 employees. Program oversight includes pension, health insurance, long term disability and defined contribution.
Reporting divisions include legislative and external affairs, member services, financial services, information technology, investment management, and human resources. Mr. Matson reports to a nine-member Board of Trustees.
In 2012, Mr. Matson was honored as “Leader of the Year in Public Policy – Government” by the Arizona Capitol Times. Mr. Matson was recognized for his work leading the ASRS through challenging economic times and an active legislative session in which lawmakers took a close look at the state’s public pension plans.
Mr. Matson joined the ASRS in 1995 as chief investment officer, responsible for the internal and external multi asset-class investment management of the fund and development of the internal investment management division of the ASRS.
From 1994 to 1995, Mr. Matson served as Senior Investment Advisor, Treasury Division, Workers Compensation Board, Alberta, Canada. His overall responsibilities were for asset mix, asset class selection, manager analysis and performance monitoring for the multi-billion dollar fund.
From 1989 to 1994, Mr. Matson served as Financial Analyst and Portfolio Analyst, Investment Management Division, Alberta Treasury. His duties included performance measurement, derivatives analysis, fixed income analysis, asset mix analysis, liability analysis and various portfolio support activities.
Mr. Matson is a member and chairperson of the Arizona Deferred Compensation Committee. He also serves on the Arizona Property and Casualty Insurance Guaranty Fund Board and its Investment Committee, is a founding member of the Canada-Arizona Business Council, and served on Alberta Investment Management's Investment Operations Committee. He is a graduate of the FBI's Citizen's Academy.
* Approximations are utilized.
- Master of Arts, International Relations, Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona. (Research focus on International Terrorism)
- Master of Business Administration, Simon Fraser University, Canada. (Research focus on Financial Derivatives)
- Bachelor of Commerce, University of Alberta, Canada
- Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA) Charter Holder
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Charter Holder
- Fellow of the Canadian Securities Institute (FCSI)
- Canadian Investment Manager (CIM)
- Certified Cash Manager (CCM)