The financial health of the ASRS depends on our ability to generate optimal returns from our investments while minimizing risk. This assures the security of retirement benefits and helps keep down the ongoing funding costs to our employers and active members. As a result, the following are the ASRS investment goals:
- Maximize the fund rate of return for acceptable levels of fund risk.
- Achieve a 75th percentile rate of return compared to peers.
- Achieve long-term fund rates of return equal to or greater than the actuarial assumed interest rate.
- Achieve long-term economic and actuarial funded statuses of 100 percent.
- Mitigate contribution rate volatility.
Historical Annualized Rates of Return(Net of Fees)
Frequently Asked Questions - Market Impacts
What impact does a volatile stock market have on the ASRS?
What impact do market fluctuations have on members?
Where does the ASRS have investments and have you made changes based on the current state of the markets?
- Tactically committed and invested capital to non-U.S. Treasury securities (trading at attractive historical yields).
- Through our Global Tactical Asset Allocation (GTAA) sector, we have marginally reduced over-weighting in equities and commodities, reallocating to other opportunities.
- Continued to analyze markets for other opportunistic investments.