Assurant Employee Benefits is the sole provider offering dental benefits and is now part of Sun Life Financial, a national benefits carrier. We are pleased to offer the same great dental benefit plans at the same affordable prices, regardless of what plan option you select.
Assurant offers different dental plan options depending on where you live. There are two Indemnity Dental Plan options available in all states. In Arizona only, you can select from two Prepaid Dental Plan options. Members are encouraged to compare options to select the plan that best suits your needs.
Read more about the plans in the 2017 Medicare and Non-Medicare Enrollment Guides:
The Assurant / Sun Life Brand
For the 2017 Open Enrollment period, you can expect to see the transition to the Sun Life brand appearing here and in other materials. For more information, visit the Sun Life ASRS retiree website.
Dental ID Card. Your 2017 dental ID card will reflect the Sun Life brand. We will send you a new dental ID card if you are a new member, or if you switch plans. You can continue to use your existing Assurant-branded dental ID card. NOTE: if you are enrolled in the PPO dental plan option, your dental network will continue to be the Assurant Dental Network, and if you are enrolled in the Prepaid / DHMO network, you will continue to use the same network - there are no changes to your dental network.
Online Dental Health Center. Our online dental health center now reflects the Sun Life brand. If you have not visited this valuable resources, please bookmark the site and visit it for help with dental terminology, understanding treaments, or to ask a dentist for advice. Visit the Sun Life ASRS retiree website.
When and How to Enroll
To enroll in one of the dental plans outside of the annual enrollment periods, you must experience a Qualifying Life Event (QLE). Click the button below to review the ASRS-recognized QLE's:
If you meet one of these QLE's, click the myASRS link in the upper right corner of this webpage to log in and enroll now.
ASRS now offers online enrollment for its retiree group insurance benefit options. Watch this video to see how easy it is to enroll with an ASRS plan
If you are currently a retiree or disabled member covered by ASRS, ADOA or another ASRS employer's insurance, you can view those elections in your myASRS account by selecting 'Medical/Dental Insurance Details' under the Your Account section in the navigation pane.
Vision Discount Services
Retirees and Long Term Disability recipients enrolled in any Assurant / Sun Life dental plan are automatically eligible for discounts on vision care needs through Vision Service Plan (VSP).
Services include discounts on eye exams, glasses, contact lenses and even laser surgeries.
VSP is not insurance but an additional savings benefit afforded to participants in ASRS dental insurance plans. Your membership card can be used for both your dental and vision needs.
Read more about the vision plan in the 2017 Medicare and Non-Medicare Enrollment Guides:
Or, visit the VSP website at: VSP.com
Health Insurance eLearning
This comprehensive, click-and-you-go eLearning module explains everything you need to know about the ASRS Dental and Vision Plans.
Click on the eLearning picture to get started!
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I determine my current health insurance out-of-pocket costs?
What if my monthly health insurance premium exceeds my monthly pension?
What happens if I fail to pay my insurance premium direct bill?
What is the best way to determine which dental plan is right for me?
What kind of dentist may I choose when selecting a General Dentist?
I am enrolling for family coverage in one of the Assurant prepaid dental plans. May I select a General Dentist for my whole family?
How do I change my General Dentist?
- INDEMNITY DENTAL: The plan provides complete freedom-of-choice in providers. No selection is necessary.
How do I use my General Dentist?
- INDEMNITY DENTAL: You may receive dental care from any licensed dentist or special- ist in the United States. However, you also have the option to use a dentist who participates in the Assurant Dental Network. All of the dentists who participate in the Assurant Dental Network have agreed to negotiated fee arrangements of up to 30% off their usual and customary fees and will not balance bill you for services covered by the plan.
- Assurant strongly recommends that whenever the cost of any proposed dental treatment exceeds $300, a pre-treatment estimate be submitted for review before treatment begins. This pre- estimate of benefits will inform you of your expected out-of-pocket costs.
How much and when do I have to pay for my dental visit?
- INDEMNITY DENTAL: Most dentists will file your dental claims for you and charge you your coinsurance and any deductible that may apply. You will receive an Explanation of Benefits after Assurant pays the claim to show what benefits have been covered and the amount for which you are responsible. Assurant strongly recommends that whenever the cost of any proposed pre-treatment estimate exceeds $300, a dental treatment plan be submitted for review before treatment begins. This pre-estimate of benefits will inform you of your expected out-of-pocket costs. You should review your Certificate of Coverage and discuss your proposed dental treatment options with your dentist before the services are performed.
What should I do if I have a dental emergency?
- INDEMNITY DENTAL: You can receive your dental care from any licensed dentist or specialist in the United States. If your regular dentist cannot see you in an emergency, the dentist who treats you may require you pay for your emergency dental care at the time treatment is rendered. Then you will submit a claim directly to Assurant.
How do I get a directory of participating dentists?
- INDEMNITY DENTAL: You can receive your dental care from any licensed dentist or specialist in the United States. However, you also have the option to use a dentist who participates in the Assurant Dental Network to receive additional savings on all your covered dental treatments and services. Call Assurant’s ASRS on-site representative OR Assurant’s customer service department at the numbers listed in the back of this guide or visit Assurant’s dedicated web site at sunlife.com/ASRS and select the directory listing for the Assurant Dental Network of dentists.