Open Enrollment Information

  • 2019 ASRS Open Enrollment

Due to popular demand, the Arizona State Retirement System has extended the annual Open Enrollment period for the retiree health insurance programs - medical and dental - through December 31, 2018 for benefits starting January 1, 2019. Retirees are highly encouraged to use the ASRS’ Retiree Online Health Insurance application. Just log on to your myASRS secure account to get started (click the myASRS login button lower down this page). It's safe, easy and secure.

ID cards will be sent 7 to 10 business days after the enrollment has been processed by UnitedHealthcare (for medical enrollments) or SunLife Financial (for dental enrollments).

Open Enrollment runs Thu, Nov 1 - Mon, Dec 31

We have exciting news for the 2019 plan year. The ASRS is proud to announce lower premiums on all plans. We encourage you to look closely through the Open Enrollment packet which includes:

    • Flyer: Open enrollment information and online enrollment
    • Newsletter: What you need to know about open enrollment, including premiums and plan changes, and the Open Enrollment Meetings schedule
    • Guide: Non-Medicare or Medicare plan details

Watch your mailbox! ASRS Open Enrollment packets for both Medicare and Non-Medicare ASRS retirees were mailed out in mid-October. Open Enrollment for the ASRS retiree group health insurance plans runs from Thursday, November 1 - Monday, December 31, 2018. The effective date of enrollment in, or changes to, your ASRS coverage is January 1, 2019.

For an overview of this year's changes and a message from Director Paul Matson, read this month's issue of "Your Retirement", which is also included in your Open Enrollment packets.

Online Enrollment icon Enroll now for 2019

The online health insurance application allows you to:

  • Enroll in an ASRS medical/dental plan
  • Make changes to your current coverage
  • Add or remove a dependent from your current coverage

Just log into your myASRS account to get started!

myASRS Login

Medicare Plans

UnitedHealthcare continues to be the sole provider of Arizona State Retirement System plans. Depending on where you live and if you are eligible for Medicare, the following plans are available:

    • Group Medicare Advantage HMO
    • Group Medicare Advantage PPO (replacing the Senior Supplement)*

*For more information on the change from Senior Supplement to Medicare Advantage PPO, see our comparison chart and details here:

HMO or PPO or Senior Supplement?

For complete details on the HMO and PPO plans, click the button below

2019 Medicare Insurance Plans

Non-Medicare Plans

      • Choice 1,2,3
      • Navigate 1,2,3
      • Choice Plus PPO (outside Arizona)

2019 Non-Medicare Insurance Plans

Dental Plans

Sun Life Financial continues to be the sole provider offering two Indemnity plans and three Prepaid plan options. The plan benefits remain the same for all plan options. And there are no increased costs or changes for 2019.

For retirees living in Arizona, there are four dental plan options from which to choose:

    • Indemnity: Freedom Basic (“Low Option”)
    • Indemnity: Freedom Advance (“High Option”)
    • Prepaid: DHMO 220 with Ortho Copayments
    • Prepaid: Heritage Secure w/SBA
  • For retirees living outside Arizona, there are two indemnity plans and in certain states a Prepaid dental plan to choose:

    • Indemnity: Freedom Basic (“Low Option”)
    • Indemnity: Freedom Advance (“High Option”)
    • Prepaid (Available in CA, CO, FL, GA, KS, MO, NE, NV, NM, OH, OK, OR, TX, and UT)

2019 Dental and Vision Plans

What You Need to Know for 2019 Open Enrollment:

Watch This Recorded Medicare Open Enrollment Meeting to learn more!

This is a passive enrollment 

As in previous years, this will be a passive enrollment, meaning if you are happy with your current coverages, you will not need to take any action. Your present coverage will simply roll over to the new plan year, which begins January 1, 2019.

Timeline for ASRS Retiree Open Enrollment

Timeline graphic 1 of 3

Timeline graphic 2 of 3

Timeline graphic 3 of 3

Was this page helpful?: 
Average: 3.9 (18 votes)